On Wednesday 20 June 2001 05:48 pm, Randy Kramer wrote:
> Charles (or anyone else),
>
> Noticed your post, thought you might be able to answer a few
> questions related to shrinking Windows partitions:
>
> 1. Sometimes when I defrag a Windows partition there are clusters
> that "can't be moved" in various locations throughout the partition
> -- can "resize" move those while shrinki

   Boot to DOS, then you need to strip the hidden and system
attributes from all files. These are the files that defrag can't move.
IIRC, that would be 'attrib -s-r-h *.*' on the CL in C:\.  At least you
don't need to be root ;>  Check the syntax before you try it
('attrib /?'), it's been a _long_ time since I've fooled around in
Winblows. Defrag also does a better job if you Uncheck the 'speed up
programs' option and run it several times.

   While you're at the DOS prompt, you can also clean up and compress
your registry.  'scanreg /fix', followed with 'scanreg /opt'
--
Tom Brinkman      [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay