"Rita F. Koenigs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have 8.0.  I have been attempting to surf the internet without

> success -- after logging onto the network using KDE kppp.

> I use http://www.nocharge.com, a free internet provider for

> parts of WA, OR, and NY...the "connect" link says that nocharge

> should work in the Macintosh, Linux, Unix platforms.

> Here's what happens: I log onto the network (I check connection

> icon, and see the connection speed, duration, bytes sent/recd,

> etc. in the kkk log).

> When I try to enter a URL in Konquerer or Netscape, I get

> nowhere. When I do a ping in terminal, the error message is:

> "unable to connect to remote host.". Same with pinging as the

> root.

> Any ideas on how to solve this?

> The odd thing is, right now I'm using a windows 98 machine, and

> I'm connected using the same tel. #, IP address, etc. Just

> doesn't work for Linux, although nocharge claims to support it.

==================
What does your /etc/resolv.conf say??  Did you edit it appropriately?:

search nocharge.com
nameserver <dns#>
nameserver <dns#>

dns#'s should be provided by the ISP.
HTH,
Mike
--
"Many loads of beer were brought. What disorder, whoring, fighting, killing, and
dreadful idolatry took place there."