On Thursday 21 June 2001 20:16, Michael Scottaline wrote:
> "Rita F. Koenigs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have 8.0.  I have been attempting to surf the internet
> > without
> >
> > success -- after logging onto the network using KDE kppp.
> >

> > I use http://www.nocharge.com, a free internet provider for
> >
> > parts of WA, OR, and NY...the "connect" link says that
> > nocharge
> >
> > should work in the Macintosh, Linux, Unix platforms.
> >

> > Here's what happens: I log onto the network (I check
> > connection
> >
> > icon, and see the connection speed, duration, bytes
> > sent/recd,
> >
> > etc. in the kkk log).
> >

> > When I try to enter a URL in Konquerer or Netscape, I get
> >
> > nowhere. When I do a ping in terminal, the error message is:
> >
> > "unable to connect to remote host.". Same with pinging as
> > the
> >
> > root.
> >

> > Any ideas on how to solve this?
> >

> > The odd thing is, right now I'm using a windows 98 machine,
> > and
> >
> > I'm connected using the same tel. #, IP address, etc. Just
> >
> > doesn't work for Linux, although nocharge claims to support
> > it.
>
> ==================
> What does your /etc/resolv.conf say??  Did you edit it
> appropriately?:
>
> search nocharge.com
> nameserver <dns#>
> nameserver <dns#>
>

> dns#'s should be provided by the ISP.[root@civileme tester]#
host -a www.nocharge.com.
Trying "www.nocharge.com."
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2,
ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.nocharge.com.              IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.nocharge.com.       3466    IN      CNAME   nocharge.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
nocharge.com.           172666  IN      NS
DNS1.TEL-NETCOM.NET.
nocharge.com.           172666  IN      NS
DNS2.TEL-NETCOM.NET.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
DNS1.TEL-NETCOM.NET.    172666  IN      A       64.40.37.37
DNS2.TEL-NETCOM.NET.    172666  IN      A       64.40.37.38

Or by one of us with internet functioning machines.  DNS1 is
64.40.37.37 and 2 is 64.40.37.38.  I would reverse the order to
pull from the presumably more lightly loaded secondary.

Civileme