On Saturday 23 June 2001 06:47, Rita F. Koenigs wrote:
> MandrakeLinux 8.0 and the modem that is supposed to be
> linux-compatible were both installed by the Tech Center at
> CompUSA ... I'm not sure if the modem was completely
> "configured" now that I've done some seeking.
>
> For one thing in Harddrake, nearly all the components are
> assigned a module, while the modem is not ... I press the
> configure hardware button and it makes the false claim that
> it's a winmodem.
>
> I checked in the PCI device listing, and saw this about the
> modem: Serial controller: U.S. Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem 5610
> (rev 1), IRQ 5, 1/0 at 0xec00, bus 1, device 0, function 0.

http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/20010604b.html

Says this model IS OK, but I am very curious about the behavior.
 Harddrake is hard-pressed to have up-to-date databases with new
models of modems out every week.  Just a couple of months ago
there were three PCI modems that were not winmodems, and just a
couple of months ago, we released 8.0.

> It looks like the Ethernet controller that's been sitting in
> the box for a year or so unused *is correctly configured
> though (too bad I don't have a network hooked up, or a high
> speed connection)!!

Whoa!  If they configured the ethernet controller first, then
the internet connection is looking at it as the default gateway.

Go to Control Center=>Network & Internet=>Connection

Click on Expert Mode  A button called

"Configure"

will appear.  Click it.

Make sure you remove the configuration for the Ethernet
card--you can add it later as a LAN

Now configure the modem
then click on "Configure Internet Access"

NOW, You should be able to maintain your connection--it is the
default gateway that was wrong.

Civileme