pico is part of pine actually.  If you check out the man pages for it,
the first few lines normally tell you where the syntax comes from.

Name
     pico - simple text editor in the style of the Pine Composer

I don't care much for pico, or pine so I never installed either one of
them.  I use mutt as my mail reader and I use vim which I love.  But
everybody knows about the wars that go on about editors.  The only
reason it's installed on the servers for our network, is that some of
our users just don't know much of anything about vi or vim.

I don't know if there are pico RPMs on the Mandrake CDs, but I think if
you install Pine, it will install pico.  At which point I'd do a chmod
0000 /usr/bin/pine so nobody can use it, and you will still have your
pico.  (Pine is a processor and memory hog.  You'd think it was writen
for Windows the way it acts!)
tdh

T. Holmes
UNIXTECHS.org