On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 23:09, Patrick Hubers wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> > or you haven't explained it well enough. You should feel lucky
> > that you have
> > this kind of free community-based support -- you'll never have it
> > in the M$
> > world. There, you'll have to pay through the nose for tech
> > support. You can
> > pay for tech support in GNU/Linux as well. This would be
> > recommended if, say,
> > you had a company relying on GNU/Linux.
>
> There are helpful user communities in the M$ world also. The fact that
> Microsoft tries to take your every pennie in order to solve their own
> screw-ups doesn't mean that mailing lists like this one are a
> GNU/Linux-only thing :-)
>
> True, if you pay a lot of money, you'd expect some customer service from
> the manufacturer as well and that ain't gonna happen with M$, but that
> doesn't mean that *nobody* can help you.

You're correct there. The point I was trying to make is that the beauty of
GNU/Linux is its great wealth of online fora (whether it be via e-mail,
newsgroups, message boards, etc.), in which people can discuss their problems
and help each other, rather than paying a company for support. Sure, you can
get this in Windows, but the community is nowhere near as vibrant.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson