As for your problem with ADSL, I remember emailing you (think it was you.)
to let you know that because there are so many variations on how ADSL is
setup, that its neearly impossible to point you to any one howto on the
subject...... I have an ADSL modem that connects to my hub or directly to a
second net card on my router box, and it does everything,, all I have to do
is setup the static IP and gateway and dns stuff, and it works great on MDK
7.2...  maybe you should look at that as a possible solution,, the ADSL
modem is an Alcatel (and its one of only a few on their site..)  it also
depends on if you ISP supports the option,, but the modem also supports ppp
over adsl, or pppoe,,,

without knowing specifically what methods your ISP supports, or the modem
they gave you, or the adsl equipment at the phone exchange,, how do you
expect us to instruct you to do it?? ADSL is fairly new, its not
standardised that much yet,, so everyone seems to be implimenting it
differently.....

you need to find others that use your ISP, and possibly linux, and ask them
what their setup entailed.

since your isp won't really help you with linux, perhaps you should ask them
for a description of how they have implimented adsl and then you have some
info to go looking for on the web.. you don't need to really understand
linux, you just have to understand how to find info and tips/fixes to do
stuff,,,, (I do it all the time and it hasn't failed me yet..)

The biggest reason you got little assistance on this list is simple, to show
you what I mean here is an example,

you have told us you have a problem with your car, it won't go, how do I fix
it?

we can't tell you, because we don't know what type, model and usage is, and
we only know from you that it didn't go,, could you diagnose something like
this?

I have dealt with ISP's on a professional basis for years now, and they do
something every similar with windows,,,

most common tech responces
1. somthing wrong with your modem, or its a win modem, replace it..
2. add this modem string to reduce line speed, see if that improves
something.
3. remove all network stuff from control panel/network and add them all
again.
4. your windows install is buggared, reload it and try again....
5. your problem is client ineptness, pay us money and we will come and fix
it for you.

The problem you discribe isn't a linux issue, its just that because windows
is more common on the desktop, everyone pays more attention to making sure
it works..

rgds

Frank