Roman wrote:
>> if you find some sort of workaround, please let me know what steps
you took to import them [Windows fonts] into your Linux box. <<

I did this once, to my sorrow (will explain later). This Drakfont option
assumes you have Windows on your hard drive and Linux can see it. When
you start Drakfont and click on the "Add Windows fonts" button or
whatever it's called, it finds your Windows fonts and installs them in
XWindows. The names will now appear in the fonts list.

There was a bug in the version of Drakfont that came with Mandrake 8; an
update is supposed to fix this.

Now--why I regretted it: There are a number of ways to get fonts into
XWindows and KDE, etc. If more than one gets involved, you wind up with
multiple copies and listings of the same font. Drakfont is very limited.
It is not the font tool of choice, in my opinion. Also, I used it before
I got the updated version and there was something weird about the way it
brought the fonts into Linux.

If you don't have Windows on your drive where Linux lives, you can still
get your Windows TrueTypes into Linux. Just copy the *.ttf files from
Windows to a floppy or Zip disk or CD. Then if you want to use Drakfont,
click on the Add button and tell it where to look for that media in the
screen that comes up. It'll give you a list of fonts in that location
(floppy, Zip, whatever). Pick the ones you want (there's a Select All
option) and OK. Now those TrueTypes will be added to your Linux
installation. You can use this method even if you do have Windows on the
same drive. It gives you a little more control.

You can also create a directory for fonts you want to add, copy the
fonts to that directory, and then run Drakfont as above, pointing it to
the newly created directory when you click on Add fonts.

I'm writing from memory and I haven't been at this very long, so please
ask if my directions don't match up with what you see.
 --Judy Miner