On Wednesday 08 August 2001  2:00 am, you wrote:
> I'm not sure if I just have really bad luck when it comes to harddrives,
> but it seems that every time I install any flavor of *nix on a drive that
> was formerly Winblows, I can't turn around and reinstall windows on the
> drive again without it not working or being awfully unstable. I'm not sure
> why this happens, it's a pity my 20gb drive no longer wants to work. I even
> went as far as to go back in the installer on Redhat, get in the fdisk, and
> create a new empty dos partition table, saved it, then rebooted, fdisk'd
> off a boot floppy, created a primary partition, rebooted, formatted it,
> then tried the installer. It didn't make it past the system checker thing
> at the beginning of the installer, gave some weird errors about the drive.
> Anyway, anyone else having this problem?

I have read somewhere, but can't remember where, That if you are going to
install Windows on a partition then you should format that partition with the
dos version of fdisk as supplied with windows or with the disk installation
floppy. I believe the linux version of fdisk formats a dos partition slightly
differently.
        Hope this helps,
                        Robin