>There were more including the Abit's, but they were
>dropped by AMD from approval at the same time the VIA-IDE bug started
>being hyped last March.

Sorry to learn that, as this is what I've got.  Sounds like
MDK8.1 might have some fixes/workarounds.  Thinking to wait.

>   I don't think dma is your ME problem. As Civileme alluded to,

I don't have an ME problem (yet).  I haven't even
installed MDK yet (have to get another install CD if I do).
But I was reading about the slow-down and wondering what's
ahead.

>    Another thing you might try is to fix, clean and optimize the
>registry. On ME it takes a hack, but you can still boot straight to a
>pure DOS prompt, no winblows overhead present or active. From that

Yes, I have reconfigured ME to do a DOS-style boot, allowing
non-Windows access to DOS prompt if I want it.

>config conflict. Just make sure you have a Mandrake boot floppy handy
>so you can rerun 'lilo' to restore lilo to the mbr.

Is there a way to ditch lilo and get the old mbr back, in
case I want the old mbr w/o lilo?  If I get into deep doodoo
w/ MDK, I'm hoping to get back to mono-boot, after which
I could zap the ext2 partition using Partition Magic.

>    I'd suggest a $6 Mitsumi
>--

I was too lazy to drive to Fries and supported the local
mom & pop computer store by buying their $20 TEAC.  Coulda
gone a lot cheaper I realize, but I only had to walk a
block -- and the floppy drive situation seems resolved.

So now I'm pondering waiting for 8.1 to address the Abit
issues (same as Southbridge chipset issues?).

Thanx for your extremely knowledgable feedback BTW.  What
makes a distro is the community that supports it.

Kirby

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com