On Saturday 18 August 2001 19:40, you wrote:

> You face yet another problem.  There is --no ifs ands or buts-- a
> _hardware problem_ with the 686B southbridge, and another with the
> KT133A Northbridge.  When our 8.0 kernel sees the chipset it will dive
> into crippled mode with DMA turned off.  hdparm will report it turned on
> but you will be unable to burn CDRWs and CD-Rs and the behavior will be
> rather more sluggish than not.
>
> This is (halfway) fixed in our most recent kernel update, meaning we
> have a workaround for the _hardware_ bug, but not a high-performance
> one.  Your computer will seem fairly normal, having jumped from 1.8Mb/S
> to 13.40Mb/s ide read speed as measured by the benchmark programs, but
> will be well below the expected benchmarks of 31.9 to 36.2 Mb/S as is
> usual for udma4 or udma5 operation.
>
> Civileme

Just thought you might be interested:

Soltek SL-75KAV motherboard, 1GHz Athon, 128MB RAM
Chipset: North Bridge VIA VT8363A (KT-133A) and South Bridge VIA VT82C686B

I haven't as yet tried burning CD-R but CDRW using gtoaster works fine.

udma2:
 [root@localhost skinky]# hdparm -tT /dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.79 seconds =162.03 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  3.09 seconds = 20.71 MB/sec

Apps seem to open fast enough, haven't noticed anything out of the
ordinary (well... maybe Galeon takes a while to open - like 5 seconds?).

Don't know if I'm even on the right track, but thought it might be a
relevant comparison ???

Cheers
skinky

--
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com