On Tuesday 21 August 2001 08:21 pm, Dennis Myers escribió:

> > Thanks Dennis, helpful.   Getting loud sounds from Midi, system
> > sounds (e.g. "ahem" sound).  But cdplayer and grip wierdly don't
> > play through my sound card at all.  I have to plug headphones into
> > CD device.  Still trying to figure that out.
> >
> > Kirby

> That sounds (no pun intended) like the audio cable from the CDROM to
> the sound card is not plugged in.  If you have a CDROM and a CDRW
> only one needs to be plugged in and both should work, I believe
> whichever is master should be connected. Make sure that the
> connection is made with the red wire on the + terminal of the sound
> card.  Someone help me out here.

   Polarity will only affect left-right (or vice-versa) speaker output.
OTOH, with some of the newer win-hardware junk, there is no header to
plug the CDrom-sound cable into, either on win-motherboards with
integrated sound and/or some win-only sound cards. If this is the case
the 'volume very faint' situation is just bleed thru.  Only viable fix
is to replace with hardware that is designed to work without Uncle
Billy's Windoze.

    Not sure about your "only one needs to be plugged in and both
should work" comment, but I don't think so.  AFAIK, only the connected
CD drive would be able to play sounds. That's the situation here, my
CDrom is connected, my CD-RW isn't. I'll be real surprised if this
isn't the case. 'Course, wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised
either ;>
--
        Tom Brinkman                       Galveston Bay

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com