OK, that was it!  Duh, slap forehead:  no cable from CDR
to Ensoniq (which I earlier specified as ISA, but I was
staring cross-eyed at my modem -- it's a PCI card) which
fortunately has inputs for CD and AUX.  So now both the
CDR and CDRW play thru speakers.

Thanks to Dennis, Tom, s et al for an education in how
Windoze and Linux differ in their approach to hardware.
I just couldn't wrap my mind around WinME getting sound
from both devices -- a mental block.  So it was sucking
vibes through the motherboard, bypassing the cable.
What a hoot!

So now I'll turn my attention to the ISA modem, which
pnpdump has told me all about.  I gather I can just check
the settings in Windows and there's a pretty good chance
if those show up commented, I can uncomment and feed to
isapnp, to get a working modem (I have DSL already working,
so this isn't super high priority -- more in the "just for
fun" category).  I'll have to read up on how to make sure
isapnp runs at boot time....

Kirby

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com