At 10:41 PM 8/21/2001 -0400, Dennis wrote:

> > > That sounds (no pun intended) like the audio cable from the CDROM to
> > > the sound card is not plugged in.

An extremely logical conclusion to draw and I thought
it might be so, as I've installed a new floppy drive
recently.  Not so though, as I'm listening to a cd in
WinMe on the same machine right now.

I'll dink around for awhile.  I'm at the bottom of
the proverbial steep learning curve which we all
associate with Linux.  Have 'Linux Cookbook' by
Michael Stutz at my elbow.  Will come up for air
after a decent period of struggling with HOWTOs etc.

Thanks to all for great support.

Kirby

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com