On Tuesday 21 August 2001 23:34, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2001 08:21 pm, Dennis Myers escribió:
> > > Thanks Dennis, helpful.   Getting loud sounds from Midi, system
> > > sounds (e.g. "ahem" sound).  But cdplayer and grip wierdly don't
> > > play through my sound card at all.  I have to plug headphones into
> > > CD device.  Still trying to figure that out.
> > >
> > > Kirby
> >
> > That sounds (no pun intended) like the audio cable from the CDROM to
> > the sound card is not plugged in.  If you have a CDROM and a CDRW
> > only one needs to be plugged in and both should work, I believe
> > whichever is master should be connected. Make sure that the
> > connection is made with the red wire on the + terminal of the sound
> > card.  Someone help me out here.
>
>    Polarity will only affect left-right (or vice-versa) speaker output.
> OTOH, with some of the newer win-hardware junk, there is no header to
> plug the CDrom-sound cable into, either on win-motherboards with
> integrated sound and/or some win-only sound cards. If this is the case
> the 'volume very faint' situation is just bleed thru.  Only viable fix
> is to replace with hardware that is designed to work without Uncle
> Billy's Windoze.
>
>     Not sure about your "only one needs to be plugged in and both
> should work" comment, but I don't think so.  AFAIK, only the connected
> CD drive would be able to play sounds. That's the situation here, my
> CDrom is connected, my CD-RW isn't. I'll be real surprised if this
> isn't the case. 'Course, wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised
> either ;>

My memory isn't what it used to be, but it seems that back before I blew
out the 42x CDROM it would play cd's while I wrote a disk and yet I could
also put the music cd into the writer and listen from it. Like I say the
memory is not good for somethings that were over a year ago. ;-)
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com