On Tuesday 11 September 2001 12:44 am,  Dr. Evil wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking for some games that will run under Mandrake 8.0.  I
> have a reasonably fast machine, with some kind of usable graphics card
> and a fairly good soundcard.  I'm looking for a 3D first-person
> shooter game.  Something like Counterstrike would be absolutely
> perfect.  Any sugestions?  I would also take sugestions for Windows
> games which are known to work well with wine.  I don't have any access
> to a Windows box, so if it can't run on Linux, I don't want it.
>
> I have never really played computer games before, but I want to give
> it a try now.
>
> Thanks!

Go to www.lokigames.com     They have a quake3, sof, descent3, Rune (not a
shooter - more like a slicer), hg2, tribes2 and binaries for ut (this one's
free).  If you go to ebgames.com, you can find many of these for $10 (USD).
We have been holding our breath waiting for DeusEx and FAAKK (due out any
time).  There are several others, Hyperion had put out Sin and Shogo.  Go to
tuxgames.com and find a few more too (like Hopkins FBI).   If you get ut
going, there's a mod out there which makes it possible to play UnrealGold
using it's engine and there are several mods for quake3 out there (like urban
assault).  Also available are binaries for quake1 and 2, and doom.

Now, go out there and have some fun!  :-)

-s