On 11 Sep 2001 05:44:39 -0000, "Dr. Evil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, I'm looking for some games that will run under Mandrake 8.0.  I
> have a reasonably fast machine, with some kind of usable graphics card
> and a fairly good soundcard.  I'm looking for a 3D first-person
> shooter game.  Something like Counterstrike would be absolutely
> perfect.  Any sugestions?  I would also take sugestions for Windows
> games which are known to work well with wine.  I don't have any access
> to a Windows box, so if it can't run on Linux, I don't want it.
>
> I have never really played computer games before, but I want to give
> it a try now.
>
> Thanks!

You can get native GNU/Linux versions of Doom, Quake, Quake II, Quake III and
Marathon (a great FPS from the Mac). Of these, Doom, Quake and Marathon are now
GPLed, and are still under active open-source development. You can get all kinds
of interesting modifications that were never possible when they were
closed-source. Quake II and III are still closed-source, but they can be bought
very cheaply at GNU/Linux stores.

Loki (http://www.lokigames.com) have a bunch of good games for GNU/Linux.

If you intend to use WINE, it is a good idea to have a Windos installation so
that WINE can use the Windos drivers.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson