"Dr. Evil" wrote:

> Hi, I'm looking for some games that will run under Mandrake 8.0.  I
> have a reasonably fast machine, with some kind of usable graphics card
> and a fairly good soundcard.  I'm looking for a 3D first-person
> shooter game.  Something like Counterstrike would be absolutely
> perfect.  Any sugestions?  I would also take sugestions for Windows
> games which are known to work well with wine.  I don't have any access
> to a Windows box, so if it can't run on Linux, I don't want it.
>
> I have never really played computer games before, but I want to give
> it a try now.
>
> Thanks!

For a great military-like 1st person shooter, try "Soldier of Fortune".

"Rune" is a great 1st person shooter as well...if you are into Vikings!

"Descent3" has a wonderful sci-fi kinda feeling.

"Quake3" is great for some quick blow'em away action.

Under Wine, Starcraft works well for me. Others have gotten more Windoze games
to work...

Try http://www.lokigames.com for lots more...and happy 'Nix gaming! ;-)

--

                                                                 /\