Looks like your hardware is not happy with more colors. So either you have to
do with 800x600 or the 8bit technicolor experience.

Can't recall everything. If you are not on a notebook, perhaps a different
vidcard would help. I use a Geforce II Nvidia something and that works well on
16 bit 1024x768. But I cannot rule over your money, of course.

Paul

--
I have an excellent track record, although I am not a horse.

http://nlpagan.net - Registered Linux User 174403
Linux Mandrake 8.0 - Sylpheed 0.6.1