I have had/have 2 different Riva 16MB cards.
These cards  have never supported 24bpp.
This is by design, not because of the OS being used.

I do not recall any specifics regrading the resolution I
choose to use.
What you should look at is the Refresh and properties
given to your monitor as it is detected in linux.
There are generic entries which if used will not allow
a resolution greater then 1024x768.
You can change to a higher value in the monitor selection
but be sure that your monitor
is actually capable of handling it.

1 other note as to bpp is that if you choose to use 3D
hardware acceleration the the bpp by default is set to 16bpp
because most 3D apps,especially games will only run at that bpp setting.

   Charles  (-:

Forever never goes beyond tomorrow.
And for too many there are now no tommorows.