On Thursday 13 September 2001 12:06, you wrote:
> on 9/13/01 5:48 PM, Paul at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Looks like your hardware is not happy with more colors. So either you
> > have to do with 800x600 or the 8bit technicolor experience.
> >
> > Can't recall everything. If you are not on a notebook, perhaps a
> > different vidcard would help. I use a Geforce II Nvidia something and
> > that works well on 16 bit 1024x768. But I cannot rule over your money, of
> > course.
>
> What about 24 or 32? Whenever screen res comes up in linux groups--from
> what I can see--16 bit seems to be the norm. I'd really like to get at
> least 24 bit color on my machine, but I can't get beyond 16. Is this a
> video card thing or something about linux itself that forces this
> restriction?
>
> Matt

        I have three machines running Mandrake. Two are pc's and one is an iMac. All
three run 32 bit at high resolutions. The iMac is at 1024x768 and the other
two have 19" monitors so I run them at 1280. I have had problems in the past
with various hardware setups and for those just starting out with Linux, it
really helps to have common hardware configurations.
        I know Linux will run on almost anything, and if you know what your doing
and have several hours to kill, most graphic cards will run fine, but for the
rest of us, having common setups means less frustration. I had a cheap card
that I bought at OfficeMax some time back that I recently tried to use with
Mandrake and had a lot of problems. I was able to get it to work but it only
supported 800x600 at 256 colors which wasn't very pleasant to look at. I
bought a VooDoo 3 from a friend, booted Mandrake, it detected the new card on
boot and made the process of installing a new card very easy.

Gary