on 9/13/01 12:24 PM, Gary Traffanstedt at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have three machines running Mandrake. Two are pc's and one is an iMac. All
> three run 32 bit at high resolutions. The iMac is at 1024x768 and the other
> two have 19" monitors so I run them at 1280. I have had problems in the past
> with various hardware setups and for those just starting out with Linux, it
> really helps to have common hardware configurations.

I have a Riva TNT2 with 16MB of RAM. Mandrake recognized the card fine
during install, but when setting the resolution it says 24bpp is not
supported for this card. Also if I try to set my res to 1280x?? it will
instead keep it at 1024x768 and give me a 1280x?? virtual desktop.

It's one of those things I keep meaning to get around to but haven't, since
16bpp isn't at all bad for general computer use.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas for me that'd be great. But I need to look
into this more myself. I was more making a comment on the seeming prevalence
of 16bpp displays in Linux rather than asking a question.

Matt