On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 18:54:36 -0400, ryan_steffes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Which one do most of you prefer?  I use gnome, and in Mandrake 7 it
> default installed Enlightenment and in 8 it defaulted to Sawfish.

Enlightenment was the default WM for GNOME before GNOME 1.2. It is quite a good
WM, and it works well on its own (i.e. without GNOME). It is most definitely the
prettiest WM out there, but consequently is a bit of a resource hog when
compared to other WMs like IceWM and WindowMaker. A new version has been in the
works for quite some time, and aims to turn E into a desktop shell (more than
just a WM, but not as heavy as KDE and GNOME).

Sawfish has better integration with GNOME, and since GNOME 1.2 has been GNOME's
official WM. On its own it is not as user-friendly or as feature-packed as E. It
is very flexible, however, and boasts its own Lisp-like scripting language to
add extra features. Its philosophy is to remain minimal, and rely on scripts and
environments like GNOME to add functionality. It is one of the best WMs
cosmetically (through its flexibility), but not as good as E.

> I'm
> not sure if the features I liked in Enlightenment exist and I don't know
> how to set them up, or whether they were features of Enlightenment.  For
> starters, my X-Windows doesn't display menu's on a rightclick on the
> desktop.  Is that an option in Sawfish? Heck I can't even figure out how
> to change my background.  I'd like to RTFM but all I can find is help
> for gnome, and I'm not sure which parts are gnome and which parts are
> Sawfish.
>
> Tips, tricks, suggestions?

As I mentioned above, Sawfish prefers to remain light, relying on external
applications to manage non-essential functions. For example, GNOME can set your
background image, as can apps like xv. Sawfish has a default pop-up menu when
the desktop is middle-clicked. Click- and key-bindings are _very_ configurable
in Sawfish, and can be modified in the configuration tool.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson