This is all true and good, but I'd like to make a couple of points..

1. Nobody has ever talked about making sites not work in IE in this thread,,
I wouldn't
be that stupid, you'd lose a good portion of your audience..
I was talking about informing IE users that there are good alternatives.
and good reasons to try them.

2. People have been writing cross browser pages for ages.. its not a new
thing..
nowdays, the html isnt' that much of a problem, and with getElementById
Javascript isn't
that much of a problem either, the new way of doing things, is to NOT test
for the browser
type or version, but to test for each object or method before using it..

as an example, here is some code.. from a div swap page I wrote recently.

|function hidescreen() {
|   if (document.layers)
|               {
|      document.layers["exitlayer"].visibility='hide';
|               }
|   else if (document.all)
|                {
|      document.all["exitlayer"].style.visibility='hidden';
|                }
|   else if (document.getElementById)
|                {
|      document.getElementById("exitlayer").visibility='hidden';
|                }
|                      }

This code works on everything I have tested it on... (IE4+, ns4+, Mozilla,
opera and some others.)

yet there is no testing for browser type, the first bit tests for
document.layer (used mostly by early Netscape)
the second one tests for the presence of document.all and uses it if it
finds it..(thats for IE4+)

The last one tests for getElementById and uses it if it exists..  that sorts
out IE6 (which can use document.all as well)
NS6+ and Mozilla, as well as anything based on recent Gecko...

No browser testing at all, all my scripts are like that now.. and it works
flawlessly. So you don't have to write the same page for each browser, or
test for every browser on the planet and code for it,, you just test for the
object, and then code for it if it exists... very simple and fantastically
simple.. will be great when getElementById is the only one left, as coding
for it is very very easy.

There is probably even easier ways to do the above, this was knocked up in
20 minutes along with the rest of the script, so its not necessarily the
best code for the job, but it works, and its very simple.

rgds

Frank