I don't think the outcome will be like that, I think the outcome would be a
lot of pissed of IE users who will have nothing but bad things to say about
your website and about our FSF/GNU/Linux community.  I tend to agree with
the guy that said you should make your web site browser friendly for all.
This shouldn't be a political or religious battle.

I don't think the majority of web users will be as empathetic as you think.
Just think if you put a message like that on sourceforge.net a lot of folks
coming to that site would probablly get really peeved that sourceforge was
trying to make some sort of statement about a user's choice in browsers.

Just live and let live... it's not that big of a deal.  I'd say if your
browser doesn't work right on a specific web site, write the webmaster of
the site and let him or her know and if you don't get results start a
petition and ask others to write to the webmaster as well.