On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:01:25 -0600, Gary Traffanstedt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>         I don't think designing sites that don't work in IE is the answer. I
> also don't think designing sites that are 100% cross-browser compatible is
> really an answer either. Microsoft has done a lot to ensure that certain
> things only  work or work better with their products. To combat this, if
> anyone cares to combat this, a better product or service is need in each
> instance. For example, IE owns the browser market for one reason. It is
> simply better. Yes it has problems. It has a lot of problems but overall, it
> IS the best browser available for Windows users which happen to make up a
> large share of computer users.

"better" and "best" are very subjective terms. IE's 'advantages' have come at
the expense of several essential things, like security. I've already gone over
this in excessive detail - if you want a copy I can send it to you.

>         I primarily use Linux and on Linux I like Mozilla. I'm using .9.4 and
> it works great. With each new release, it only gets better. Or at least that
> is what I hear... haven't been able to get .9.5 to run yet but that's my own
> fault. Back to the point.... If those who are passionate about Linux and the
> Linux way of life, do something to show your support. Contribute to the cause
> in any way that you can.

That's why we're on this list, helping others such as yourself :)

There's no use in coding apps if nobody can use them. That's where we come in.
It is this kind of community (a "bazaar", as ESR would call it) that makes open
source development so great.

>         If you use Mozilla, and you find a problem with it, let the
> developers know of the problem. They can't test everything themselves and if
> you point out it's flaws, in a constructive way, that will assist them in
> making it far superior to Internet Exploiter.

Yep, and Bugzilla (developed by the Mozilla Project) makes this very easy to do.

>         It's not quite a level field that we play on, but it's getting
> better. Two years ago I struggled to get any distro installed. Today I can
> slap a cd in the drive and have my choice of a variety of distros running in
> under 30 minutes. The installation process had greatly improved. The wealth
> of applications have improved accross the board. More and more people are
> turning to Linux, not just as an operating system, but as a way of life. I
> use it because it's open, not because it's free.

"free" is another subjective term. Do you mean "free" as in "freedom"? Or do you
mean "free" as in "free beer"?

We can't expect to have a level playing field on any MS OS. Microsoft will
ensure that competitors are placed at a disadvantage. This is why it is
important for us to develop an open, free (as in 'freedom') platform, to create
a level playing field.

>         Just think where Linux would be if only half of the dollars spent on
> Windows development was spent inproving Linux and Linux apps.... it's just a
> matter of time really.... Windows has been to the top of the mountain... they
> are there now... but the edge is ever closer... and the end is ever
> nearer..... the penguin is coming, and the empire will crumble. Not because
> of the government or any court case, but because of the will of the people.
> The MS way of thinking "If you can make it good, make it look good" can only
> last so long.

Of course, governments are helping things long. Almost every government outside
North America is seriously considering using open source software, and some
nations have already adopted GNU/Linux as their primary OS.

>         The truth is, MS products are more looks than substance and that
> shall be their downfall.

Very true :)

Has anybody noticed how similar WinXP looks to the scenes from The Tellytubbies?
I am referring to the bright colours and the default wallpaper with the rolling
green hills and the blue sky with fluffy white clouds. Funny, eh?

Oh, and anybody interested in XP should have a read of this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/22533.html.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

What's this script doing? unzip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; gasp ; yes ; umount ;
sleep. Hint: not everything is computer-oriented. Sometimes you're in a sleeping
bag, camping out with your girlfriend.