>I might be wrong -- not saying ms was right to block browsers -- but I
>thought that ms was concerned about css, not javascript. You're approach
>addresses javascript, not css. I'm sure you know this, but I'll say it just
>to make my point clear: For css, you have to check for browser type, not
>for javascript objects. While css and javascript can be combined they are
>two seperate things, and if you think that your page won't *display*
>properly due to css issues, then you should check for browser type. That's
>what I do. Oftentimes you need a css sheet for netscape and another css
>sheet for internet explorer. (I'm new to linux, so not sure if I'll need
>yet another for unix systems.)

Actually, I have never had to have 'separate' stylesheets for the different
browsers.  I take the time to develop a template that will work properly in
all browsers (or at the very least, Netscape 4.7x, Netscape 6.x, Mozilla
.9x, and Opera on a variety of platforms).  For other browsers, I make sure
that my website will 'degrade gracefully' (ie, making sure that the website
is actually readable in text based browsers (such as lynx, links) and
earlier versions of netscape and IE).

Granted, that such attention makes a prototype take longer to develop.  The
last one I did that was cross - browser / cross - os took me about 4-5
months to design, develop, and perfect.  However, using php or jsp or for
that matter cfm, I can have a single template -- meaning that all I have to
do, is include the template with each page, and therefore have content /
layout / style independence (ie, the styles are all in a stylesheet, layout
is handled in a template file, and content is added to another file (where
the 'template' is included).  After that, I can add content to my hearts
content, or for that matter, change out the template for a new design
within a matter of minutes.

By the way, for those who are wondering, I've been dealing with web design
/ development for over 6 years now.

Michael

--
Michael Viron