> On November 4, 2001 11:42 am, magnet wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I am hoping to get ADSL installed here soon, but was wondering how I can
> > get my Linux boxs to host a website?
> > There are 6 identical machines running Mandrake 8.0, all networked with
> > 100mbps ethernet cards. There is also an ethernet connection to the Win ME
> > laptop, which currently acts as the gateway.
> > Each linux boxs has a 1.2Ghz Athlon, 256MB memory and a 20Gb HDD.
> > I'm sure the spec will be ok, but I need some pointers or advice about how
> > to set it up so users typing my URL will connect to this machine via the
> > internet. I have been told that my ADSL connection will be a dynamically
> > assigned IP so what problems/solutions will i encounter?
>
> As long as you are using dhcp you will not be able to host a website!  The
> URL you choose must resolve to a static IP address.  Check your "Terms and
> Conditions", your ADSL provider may not allow you to host a website at all
> (them using dhcp is a pretty good hint that they do not...!)
>
> Richie

Thanks Richie for the reply.

My isp gives me a little webspace, but not enough for our needs.  I could let them host
the website domain name with a redirect to here tho? The user would probably not even
see
the redirect happening unless they have a terrible connection speed. I could use a
script
at this end to update the redirect script with the IP assigned to me and a mask on the
url to still show the user our domain name when they get here.. What I need to know
then
is whether linux box has enough security features built in to mandrake 8.0 to "run" a
website with SSL and cgi scripts if needed?

Regards
magnet