-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of magnet
Sent: Monday, 5 November 2001 1:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] How do I host a website?

> Yes, Mandrake has some excellent security features that make it quiet easy
> to do..
>
> I have been using 7.2 on many servers as mail, web and dns servers with
> never a problem.
>

> your hardware is fine, and I have run websites from much slower systems.
>
> your method of doing things is rather strange. why use Me as the gateway?
>
> The way I would do it, is to make a gateway linux box. put a firewall on
it
> with everything you don't need open closed.
>
> Setup NAT (internet sharing) so that all machines can access the web.
> Then use port forwarding to forward port 80 from the gateway machine, to
> port 80 of your internal IP web server..
>
> I have done that, we have servers using SSL, scripts, java and other stuff
> all on different ports and all using port forwarding.. it works great, and
> its nice and secure.. (doesn't hurt that it makes the network hard to
figure
> out when you are on the outside of it either, (ie a script kiddie.)
>
> you can use ipmasqadm or IPTABLES to do your forwarding, I have always
used
> ipmasqadm, but I am about to try it with IPTABLES,,, dunno how I will go
> yet.
>

> rgds
>
> Frank

Thanks Frank.

Why ME as the gateway? Simple... I have an external modem for use on my
Amiga set-up, the
laptop came with a modem so that's being used and i couldn't see the point
of setting up
the internet side directly on the linux boxs until they are fully built and
ready to be
used, so it was easier for now to just set up a shared connection from the
windowz laptop
:)

I believe the machines are currently set up to use NAT as all can browse via
the
shared connection now. IPTABLES in use here afaik.

Thanks to all of you for your help on this subject.

Regards
magnet