On Tuesday 20 November 2001 12:19 pm, skidley wrote:

> I had that also and I was able to uninstall the iptables, install
> the kernel with rpm -ivh and then install iptables again. Although
> I gave up on this kernel rpm stuff because I wanted the source and
> I got the source rpm and I did rpm --rebuild and it spent hours
> building smp and enterprise kernels and the like.

   Your mistake, you got the wrong kernel source rpm.

kernel-source-2.4.13-8mdk.i586.rpm    installs the source for the
                                     Mandrake kernel
kernel-2.4.13-8mdk.src.rpm    contains the sources to compile the
                             various kernels from scratch

I just killed it
> and went and got the kernel source from kernel.org and built my
> own. No more kernel rpms for me. --

    Some people perfer using vanilla kernel.org source.  Most of
those that do don't seem to understand that it's plain beta (even
alpha) quality source and they're on their own. At least the Mandrake
source or ready made kernel rpms, while still beta, have had quite a
bit of prior attention from the Mandrake developers (mostly Juan ;)
to try and assure that it won't break Mandrake specific features, and
be Mandrake compatible before they're released.

   That's one of several reasons that kernel.org has 2.4.15 src, and
cooker is still 2.4.13. Plus, 2.4.13 kernel src on kernel.org, still
has any problems or flaws it was released with. You have to get the
next release, or back port fixes from subsequent releases, to
'correct' it. OTOH, and for example, the 2.4.8-26mdk ML8.1 was
shipped with, had back ported 2.4.9 fixes incorporated into it.  So
while YMMV, I'd avoid vanilla kernel.org source like the plague.

    In either case, I suggest monitoring the linux-kernel ML if you
use vanilla src, or the Mandrake cooker ML before using cooker
kernels. Sure, even tho I lurk on the cooker list, I've still d/l'd
and installed (-ivh) kernels that caused unfixable problems.  In that
case, I uninstall 'em and wait for a higher (-?mdk) patch level, and
when the discussion on the cooker list warrants, try again. Easy to
do with rpms ;>>
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Galveston Bay, USA