On Tuesday 20 November 2001 06:54 pm, skidley wrote:
> So when ya get the source does that have
> a suitable .config already selected or is it wise to do your own
> make menuconfig like with vanilla source. I guess that's what I
> would do as I have one saved that works for me and I would only
> need to change a couple options. Sorry for the dumb questions but
> I'm not up on this kernel rpm stuff.

   Use the guidelines for installing a kernel at
    http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/index.html#ku
   One suggestion I'd add is to make a bakup copy of your /boot
directory before you do anything. Just in case .... ;)

   If you want to compile your own, all you really need is the kernel
source and header rpms. Install these instead of MUO's (page 3)  "Run
tar xfzC [kernel-source].tar.gz"  step.  Any Mandrake 2.4.x kernel
requires that you start with 'make mrproper', so start back in with
the guidelines at that point. You could then copy in a saved copy of
Mandrakes default config (or a current config you have), and run
'make xconfig' and change any options you want/need to. Save a bakup
of that config for future use.

    I haven't bothered with compiling kernels from source for quite a
while. I never saw any benefit to changing from i586 to i686 or
Athlon, and I've haven't needed any special requirements that aren't
already in Mandrakes 2.4.x ready made kernels for some time now.
I just install their ready made and if all is well, I then d/l and
install the source and header rpms for it in case I might need 'em.

--
      Tom Brinkman                 Galveston Bay, USA