On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Tom Brinkman wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 November 2001 12:19 pm, skidley wrote:
>
> > I had that also and I was able to uninstall the iptables, install
> > the kernel with rpm -ivh and then install iptables again. Although
> > I gave up on this kernel rpm stuff because I wanted the source and
> > I got the source rpm and I did rpm --rebuild and it spent hours
> > building smp and enterprise kernels and the like.
>
>    Your mistake, you got the wrong kernel source rpm.
>
> kernel-source-2.4.13-8mdk.i586.rpm    installs the source for the
>                                      Mandrake kernel
> kernel-2.4.13-8mdk.src.rpm    contains the sources to compile the
>                              various kernels from scratch
>
> I just killed it
> > and went and got the kernel source from kernel.org and built my
> > own. No more kernel rpms for me. --
>
>     Some people perfer using vanilla kernel.org source.  Most of
> those that do don't seem to understand that it's plain beta (even
> alpha) quality source and they're on their own. At least the Mandrake
> source or ready made kernel rpms, while still beta, have had quite a
> bit of prior attention from the Mandrake developers (mostly Juan ;)
> to try and assure that it won't break Mandrake specific features, and
> be Mandrake compatible before they're released.
>
>    That's one of several reasons that kernel.org has 2.4.15 src, and
> cooker is still 2.4.13. Plus, 2.4.13 kernel src on kernel.org, still
> has any problems or flaws it was released with. You have to get the
> next release, or back port fixes from subsequent releases, to
> 'correct' it. OTOH, and for example, the 2.4.8-26mdk ML8.1 was
> shipped with, had back ported 2.4.9 fixes incorporated into it.  So
> while YMMV, I'd avoid vanilla kernel.org source like the plague.
>
>     In either case, I suggest monitoring the linux-kernel ML if you
> use vanilla src, or the Mandrake cooker ML before using cooker
> kernels. Sure, even tho I lurk on the cooker list, I've still d/l'd
> and installed (-ivh) kernels that caused unfixable problems.  In that
> case, I uninstall 'em and wait for a higher (-?mdk) patch level, and
> when the discussion on the cooker list warrants, try again. Easy to
> do with rpms ;>>

I always use the vanilla src and haven't had any problems. Thanks for the
tip on the kernel-source. What I downloaded was a waste of time. I may try
a kernel-source again who knows. So when ya get the source does that have
a suitable .config already selected or is it wise to do your own make
menuconfig like with vanilla source. I guess that's what I would do as I
have one saved that works for me and I would only need to change a couple
options. Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm not up on this kernel rpm
stuff.

 --
Chad Young
Registered Linux User #195191