Marcia,

This would be in the FWIW department. I'm a newbie myself and don't
pretend to understand the ins and outs of printing.

I have a HP PSC 500 (all-in-one type printer) hung on my parallel port.
It was configured and printing on LM 8.0. There were 3 drivers available
for that printer in CUPS. I tested them all and setup a 'lp' and a 'lp1'
using two of the choices.

In the last month I did a 'clean' installation of LM 8.1, including
updates of CUPS and CUPS drivers.  I ran through the CUPS installation
process in the installation menu (you can do this from within the
Mandrake Control Center after the fact as well). I selected the printer
using my preferred driver and did a test page. Everything was OK in
terms of the test.

However, from any application (and from a desktop drop) I was getting
garbage out (symptoms the same as you described in your original note).
I was stuck until I discovered that the the new version of cups-drivers
had added another choice to the list. I chose it. All print tests were
passed and, more importantly, it prints from any application. I have no
idea why the old drivers no longer work.

So my questions. Can you configure the printer and send it a test page?

If so, consider trying all the available drivers for your printer (or
similar printers) to see if you can get around the problem.

Terry Smith