On Wednesday 28 November 2001 08:53 am, Anuerin G. Diaz wrote:

Many good valid points snipped here>

>   2) Elitist? Being elitist does not necessarily mean a negative trait, its
> just most people associate elitism with snobbishness and arrogance. I dont
> think this list is elitist (negatively meant as you may have intended) as I
> found this as one of the most helpful list that I ever registered in.
> Somebody even said that this is almost as good as commercial technical
> support (although that doesnt mean squat as techsupp is legendary for
> 'unsupportiveness' ;-). Experienced users may have an 'elitist' air in hem
> but that comes with the part of being experienced. For me elitist means
> special and the mere fact that these people have an idea on how to solve my
> problems mean they are more special than me (im just an ordinary guy but i
> am special in my own way ;-).

and here again>

Mr. Diaz, I appreciate your thoughtful response, and I agree this is for the
most part a very helpful list. I was simply trying to make the point that
some people on this list are so anxious for an oppertunity to bash windows
that they overlook the pertinent questions of newbies. I realize that they
are not bashing the person, just windows, but my point is, what help is that
to the newbie with a question they need an answer for? In the string of posts
I was referring to, of the dozen or so replies to the original post, only
Shane offered any hint of a solution. I'm just saying that this can be
intimidating, especially for someone struggling with the nuances of an
unfamiliar OS. I myself am a rank newbie, and I believe Linux to be the best
OS out there, and I hope to eventually ditch MS products entirely. Perhaps I
reacted a bit strongly, I just found some of the responses a little
unneccessary. My response was triggered largely by my concern that some
potential Linux converts will be alienated by this negitivism, and resign
themselves to a life under MS. Again, thanks for an intelligent and well
taken response. :~)

Flotcho
Registered Linux user # 224563