RB> ok..

RB> I'm new to this wonderful thing called linux, but i love it.  i understand the
file system and the fact that everything is a file.  i know there is support for some
linmodems, including the one i
RB> my machine.  8.1 did not autodetect it so i went on a search for a rpm that would
work and found one. i installed it, but cannot get the internet dialer to recognize
it. is there another dialer i
RB> can use .. or would it be best to by an external modem?.

RB> i have the same problem with my PDA.. the soft where is there, but it is looking @
/dev/polit when it is connect to comm2.. does any one know of some free training one
the web or some good books
RB> i can read. i want to use my machine on the web instead of going under windoz all
the time..

RB> thanks

RB> roy

I did make some models work fine under linux, but all have different
"styles" to be configured. Which modem are you trying to make work ?
What rpm did you use ?

Btw, many of the modems can not work with rpms, as they need to be
compiled against your machine.

 Onur Kucuk