On Sunday 16 December 2001 3:18 pm, you wrote:
> ok..
>
> I'm new to this wonderful thing called linux, but i love it.  i understand
> the file system and the fact that everything is a file.  i know there is
> support for some linmodems, including the one i my machine.  8.1 did not
> autodetect it so i went on a search for a rpm that would work and found
> one. i installed it, but cannot get the internet dialer to recognize it. is
> there another dialer i can use .. or would it be best to by an external
> modem?.
>
> i have the same problem with my PDA.. the soft where is there, but it is
> looking @ /dev/polit when it is connect to comm2.. does any one know of
> some free training one the web or some good books i can read. i want to use
> my machine on the web instead of going under windoz all the time..
>
> thanks
>
> roy
Roy,

Which PDA package are you using?  I found problems configuring Kpilot, but
Jpilot works just fine for me.  Confusingly, Jpilot is under Applications |
Communications on the KDE menus, while Kpilot is under Office | PDA.  Can't
quite see the logic of this.

Anyway, if you try Jpilot, just go to File | Preferences | Settings, type in
the name of the com port your are attached to and bingo (famous last words I
know).

Hope that helps
/Brian