i crashed it.. trying to install ...thanks for the link.. i went to the site and tried what they suggested.. (almost) i had some type o's in my /etc/devfsd.conf file.. so it crashed my machine.. i do not have a rescue disc and my friend has my copy of MD 8.1.. fail safe will not even boot.. and when it allows me in as root to repair things.. the fs is read only. i cannot restore the file from my back up.. any id's?

thanxs..
roy
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 2028
Subject: Re: [newbie] Linmodems

Hi,
Once again, this is exactly the same response that I would get. In order to
get a functioning modem there is a setup to follow....
This fellow from the Linmodem mailing list solved the problem for me and many
others.
Apparently, it has something to do with the devfs (file system) and some
drivers. Anyway, go here.

http://linmodems.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?1:mss:6582:200112:bobbejjjefngmoikejpf

HTH,

Bill W.