Thanx mark.. i tried it on my fathers machine and it worked.. i have him up and going now.. except the whole winmodem thing in his machine too.. i'm still working on that.. i crashed my machine a few mins ago.. and posted my problem if you could help.. thanks..

roy
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 1244
Subject: Re: [newbie] x

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 08:35:40 -0600
"Roy Barton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed frantically in their message:

> Hey any one here can tell me how to reconfigure X if it did not properly install on the initial install.  My friend has a computer with a Savage4 video card, and the Xconfiguration installer automatically installs the card and it does not work.  The book that come with is kit says to install the Generic SVGA drivers, but the install does not allow it to work. Any ideas?
>

> PLEASE HELP I've reinstalled 8.1 6 times trying to get it to work.
>
> Thanks Roy

Roy,

since X isn't working you can do this from the command line by typing as root "setuptool". From the menu list that comes up you then choose "display configuration." If that doesn't work then you may want to rerun the install process but this time instead of formatting and installing all the packages again just choose to "not" format any partitions and select "no" packages to install. this will take you to the installation and setup of the display.

instead of choosing to directly support the monitor by brand and model try choosing something like "Generic Multi-sync refresh rate 74hz that can do 1024 x 768". Use the XFree86-4.1.0 3D Accelerator package when it asks you which version of X you want to install.

that should get you running. Frankly, if you're having as much trouble as you're describing the last method i've outlined here is probably your best bet.

good luck,
--
Mark

Registered Linux User 182496
Mandrake 8.1
  1:05pm  up  1:29,  2 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.80, 0.72