Thanks for the great tip!  I'll try that next time!  :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Franki [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 8:48 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [newbie] Warning for newbies, learn from my mistake

yeah, its a good point, but its an easy answer..

download your kernel rpm

install it with rpm -ivh kernel.x.x.x.rpm
(the I stands for install, as opposed to upgrade.)

then get your new kernel headers, and upgrade them.
rpm -Uvh kernel-headers.x.x.x.rpm

The U being indicative of upgrade.

That will work just wonderfully,

and if for some reason, the install fails, it won't clag your install
because the old kernel is still there to get you up and running again.

once you know the new one works, you can remove the old with :

rpm -e kernel.old.x.x

I have been doing this for ages and its never failed. (ie, I have never
toasted my old kernel installing the new one.)

rgds

Frank