and when you were downloading rpmfiles from a ftp site, or rpmfind, how
would you
know if you were downloading the right version and type of rpm?

keep in mind, that windows generally don't have a single install.exe file or
setup.exe file
that contains everything, they make you download what is essentially a
compressed archive
(sometimes a self extracting archive) that contains one install or setup
executable and
sometimes hundreds of related files.. rpm is a compressed format file, (try
zipping one at
maximum compression and see how much difference it makes.)

it is self installing, (using rpm or any of the packages for it.) and
contains everything to install.

Its actually a more efficient method of installation then a .exe file, and
the unstall is more effective as well.

It just takes some getting used to is all.

It would be way to much of a hassle to have a ftp site with just kernel.rpm
and kde.rpm in it..

would you want to download a 20 mb file just to open it and find out what
version it was?

or do you think that an ftp site should be setup so that the main directory
has the distro, and each rpm is in its own
directory on the server and the directory name is the package version and
type??

That would be a huge hassle for me..

rpm's are easy, expecially from a console,

install Midnight commander (if you don't have it already)
then type "mc" at a console prompt (without the quotes).

use it to browse your directories, go to where your rpm's are, highlight
one, and press enter.

it will enter the rpm, and inside you will have install and upgrade
executables, just highlight the one you want and press enter.. voila,, your
rpm is now installed or upgraded, nice and easy, and much faster then
dicking with rpmdrake.

give it a shot, I usually do it manually with rpm -ivh or -Uvh, but I
started out using midnight commander.

rgds

Frank