> # No, but alot people who buy mandrake like having all of these things
> # available.  You never know when you might want to fire up a web or mail
> # server from home. I appreciate all that stuff being there, even

> I exactly know that my Secretary computer NEVER install any Server.
> Does your Secretary install a Mail Server in her PC?  ;)

In simple terms, nearly every major unix out there can be installed as
either a server, or a workstation. Linux is no exception to that.
I've set up a great many Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX servers, and
workstations from the same CDs. The difference is that at install time,
YOU (the admin) select whether YOU want the install to be for a server,
or a workstation, and YOU install it accordingly. The desktop user is
not going to do their own installation, so that's just not an issue. YOU
the admin, install what's needed, and you don't need to track dozens of
CDs for the different types of installs.

This is pretty much standard Unix installation. You have EVERYTHING
available, and YOU the admin, install what you need. All neat, and
pretty, in a single package. Evern better, YOU (the admin) can build an
install image for all desktops, and install THAT on everything. The
users never see the install CDs, they're a TOOL for YOU (the admin) to
make available what you need to build whatever you need.

If your desktop user doesn't need a mail server, don't install it. Don't
need a web server? Don't install it. The list goes on. It's just up to
YOU the admin to know what you're doing. Unlike another popular desktop
OS that doesn't require that the admin know anything beyond "stick da CD
thingy in da cup holder, and close it... den wait for da autoinstall
thingy to woik".

This is true of all the major Unix flavors. Welcome to the land of true
computing! Some folks aren't ready for the power, and flexability. To
them I say: Buy a Mac.

JMHO-YMMV

--
Ric Tibbetts

Linux registration number: 55684
If you want to help advertise Linux - point your friends to
http://counter.li.org/