I'm planning on installing (not updating) LM 8.1 over 8.0 this weekend. I've
always been told that the PNP aware O/S option in BIOS should be set off, and
that's what I've been doing in the past. Insofar as I know, whatever problems
I've had have not been hardware related (at this site, problem root causes
run about 98% user, 2% unidentified). But in a recent post, Civilime advised
someone to set PNP O/S on, although the Mandrake installation manual says
off. Is this a change in the party line, or is the on setting used in
problematic situations?

One other question: A major construction project has begun in my area that
will involve relocating the power lines. There have already been two
unannounced outages, and more are likely. I was lucky, and the current ext2fs
filesystem survived, this seems like a really good time to change a
journalled filesystem, either ReiserFS or ext3fs. As part of the preparations
for the LM 8.1 installation, I have copied my current /home/me to a separate
partition (/archives) that is ext2fs. Am I correct that if I do an expert
install, the / and /archives partitions can be ext2fs, and the balance can be
one of the journalled formats?

Regards,
Carroll