Carroll,

> But in a recent post, Civilime advised someone to set
> PNP O/S on, although the Mandrake installation manual says
> off. Is this a change in the party line, or is the on
> setting used in problematic situations?

Actually the change is with the kernel. To quote Jose, who
shared this with me yesterday, "PNP finally works. Prior to
8.0 all PNP devices had to be configured manually via the
ISAPNP.CONF file. With 8.1 the kernel adjusts dynamically as
in WinXX."

> As part of the preparations for the LM 8.1 installation,
> I have copied my current /home/me to a separate partition
> (/archives) that is ext2fs. Am I correct that if I do an expert
> install, the / and /archives partitions can be ext2fs, and the
> balance can be one of the journalled formats?

Yes, but if you make / ext2, then there isn't much left
to make journaled! If /archives is a totally separate
partition, then on install I would make everything except
/archives journalled. (Then once you've moved your stuff
back to /home/me, change the fs on /archives to something
journalled, too ;-)

Regards,
Carroll