On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 02:22:58AM +0900, Doug Lerner wrote:
> What office suites do people recommend? I need to be compatible with
> Microsoft Office to at least *some* extent for:
>
> Spreadsheets
> Word Processing
> PowerPoint Presentations
>
> What do people think of Hancom Office at http://www.hancom.com. That
> package looks unbelievable for $49!
>
> How about the office stuff that is included with KDE? Kpresenter does not
> seem to be PowerPoint compatible, right?

Doug, congrats on the successful install. I've used MacOS for years and
also use MacOS X. However I've been drifting away from Apple the last
few years as I don't particularly like their way of doing things. As
far as I'm concerned they're not much different than M$ and would love
to be in M$ position marketwise. Properietary OS'es suck wind!

Anyway, in terms of office suites for Linux there are several. Abisuite,
KOffice, OpenOffice and StarOffice. The latter two are from Sun and
IMHO both put M$ Office in it's place and...the price is damn good -
free.

I installed the latest OpenOffice binary this past weekend. I'm
impressed - I've been using StarOffice v 5.x previously.

In case you haven't heard of it, let me introduce you to
<www.freshmeat.net> Linux's version of VersionTracker. To find the apps
I mentioned, go there and use the search facility.

Merry Christmas!

--
Cheers,

Stephen