[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thursday, December 27, 2001):

>Tom Brinkman wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday 25 December 2001 07:17 pm, Doug Lerner wrote:
>>
>>>What do people think about free vs commercial software in general?
>>>I myself don't object to commercial software. In fact, I work for a
>>>company that makes very high-quality commercial software with a
>>>great, loyal customer base.
>>>
>>>Surely there is nothing wrong with paying to have software
>>>supported and updated?
>>>
>>>doug
>>>

>Well the analogy of the clay pot may not be good at all.  Consider this--
>
>I make a clay pot, and I fire it and I go to a lawyer and show him the
>product and get him to draft a patent so that no one else can glaze clay
>pots or decorate them in any way without paying me royalties.  I file
>the patent and use the proceeds from my clay pots to threaten to keep
>anyone else who fires clay pots in court for years of ruinous spending
>battling my army of lawyers unless they pay me ransom for protection
>against lawsuit.

I believe that patent law requires more than just something new. It has
to be something that is not obvious too.

Let me ask the opposite question. Suppose a drug company takes hundreds
of millions of dollars from thousands of investors and uses the money for
research and creates a drug that improves the daily lives of millions of
people. Do the people who invested in the enterprise deserve to profit
from this? Or should anybody be allowed to come along and make generic
copies of the drug without bothering to invest in time and effort to do
the research?