On Tuesday 25 December 2001 04:44 am, Doug Lerner wrote:
> I installed the Java runtime environment and it was easy to do and
> works fine. And now the Konqueror browser runs Applets too (better
> than IE 5.1 under OS X does, I might add, which is the only OS X
> browser so far to support Java).
>
> But why doesn't Mandrake Linux install the Java runtime environment
> to start with? Surely everybody wants to use it, right?
>
> doug

    Mandrake does install java (rpm -qa kaffe)  If you go to this
link  http://www.kaffe.org/  you'll see that Kaffe is free as in
beer, but more importantly, free as in speech. The other versions of
java you can d/l (eg, Sun, Blackdown) are not and are not supplied
with the fully open source Mandrake versions (eg, d/l edition). I
believe there's probly licensing issues invloved to. 'Course every
rule has an exception, so Netscape while closed source is currently
included, but probly won't be as soon as Mozilla reaches version 1.0.
--
      Tom Brinkman             Corpus Christi, Texas, USA