On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 17:29:02 +0900, Doug Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I wasn't even going to respond to the hypothetical about the avaracious
> drug company withholding medication from poor people, but the logic of
> the answer bothered me so much I decided to.
>
> Even though my question was never answered by anybody (do the investors
> of time and money in drug research deserve to make a profit for their
> efforts?) I will answer yours.
>
> Your example seems to imply that anybody who puts forth effort and
> creates something that society finds useful and important then personally
> becomes liable financially to make sure that everybody who needs it gets it.
>
> I say to that - WHAT?!
>
> The answer to the problem of poor people not getting drugs from a drug
> company is not to steal the patent. It is for government and charities
> and properly run health care systems to acquire the medication and
> distribute it as needed.

As I mentioned earlier, the Brazilian Government made their decision only after
all other avenues had been explored. The health system of Brazil (or even for
the US for that matter) does not have enough funds to help everyone in the best
way possible. Negotiations were made with Roche in an effort to lower the
exhorbitant price of nelfinavir. These failed, leaving the government with
little alternative. The UN has praised the move, and the USA has withdrawn the
official objection they had lodged through the WTO. Other AIDS-striken nations,
like South Africa, are investigating similar methods.

> Again, that it what government, taxes and charities are FOR.

Capitalism and social welfare often don't work well together. Generally, here is
little or no profit for private corporations in social welfare, and governments
are reluctant to put more funds into this vital sphere for fear of alienating
the business comunity, who increasingly have the power to divert their
investment to other countries at the wink of an eye.

Governments, particularly those of lesser developed countries (LDCs) have
limited funds. LDCS often have huge debts to pay as well. They don't need the
added burden of paying double the real cost of some drug. They _could_ probably
get the money, but that would divert funds from other pressing tasks, and would
hamper the economy (which would make things even worse in the long run).

> Yes, you can hypothecate about some drug company blackmailing society
> over some needed drug. And, in fact, there are already laws allowing the
> government to license the patent to competing firms in that case. That
> almost happened in Canada recently over Cipro, but it turned out not to
> be necessary. But you are talking about the exception, not the rule.

I never said it was the rule. However, the few exceptions that _do_ exist
warrant some consideration due to their massive impacts. Would you rather that
people die?

The Canadian example you offer is interesting. There really isn't much
difference between this and what is happening in Brazil. I know little about
Cipro, but the difference here seems to be that nelfinavir is made and owned by
a completely foreign manufacturer. In that case, how can it be licensed to
competing firms?

> Extending the argument that it is somehow the responsibility of the dryg
> company to also supply it to everybody in need, regardless of financial
> impact, you could also say that anybody who produces anything that
> anybody needs somehow assumes an ethical responsibility to make sure they
> get it.
>
> But there is a different between the producing side and the consuming
> side. Just because a person wants to be creative and inventive shouldn't
> put the person at financial risk by society.

I should first say that I am not arguing that you are wrong. The difference here
is simply that we are taking different approaches to the topic. I believe that
for a democracy to properly function, everyone and everything in it (including
corporations) should hold some responsibility for its functioning. Otherwise, we
see what is happening in nations like the USA or Australia (my country): rising
social inequality. In the long run, this can only be bad for a society.

My view is more like that espoused in Europe and Asia. Take Japan, for example.
To the Japanese, your views would be totally alien. In the past fifty years,
they have undergone more rapid economic transformation than any other nation,
while _maintaining_ social equality. They have done this by making everyone and
everything accountable for the welfare of the nation. In the same period, social
equality has markedly fallen in Anglo-American capitalist states. No nation has
ever moved from an 'underdeveloped' to a 'developed' state by using
Anglo-American economic principles (which you seem to embrace). Indeed, most
nations that have adopted such methods have gone backward.

While your views may be 'alien' to the Japanese (or to many other peoples), it
doesn't necessarily mean they are 'wrong', just 'different'.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"I don't think it's right and I think it causes people to make decisions which
are not even in their best interest. A, we're not evil. B, we're not an empire."
-- Steve Ballmer, objecting to Microsoft being called "The Evil Empire"