On Tuesday 25 December 2001 20:08, you wrote:
> This is an interesting discussion. I agree with some of your points, but
> am not convinced by others. For example, if a company hires a dozen
> programmers and they spend a year creating and tweaking and debugging
> code, even if you think the company has no right to the *idea* (I am not
> convinced of that though), surely they have the right to the code itself,
> if they so choose? Otherwise somebody could just repackage it with much
> less effort and no development costs and make profit on the other
> company's investments.
>
> As far as $100 for an upgrade being expensive or not - I guess it depends
> on what the upgrade is...
>
> doug
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wednesday, December 26, 2001):
> >On Tuesday 25 December 2001 19:17, you wrote:
> >> What do people think about free vs commercial software in general? I
> >> myself don't object to commercial software. In fact, I work for a
> >> company that makes very high-quality commercial software with a great,
> >> loyal customer base.
> >>
> >> Surely there is nothing wrong with paying to have software supported and
> >> updated?
> >>
> >> doug
> >>
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wednesday, December 26, 2001):
> >
> >Nothing wrong with it until it becomes the only game in town, or you have
> > to update at an exorbitant fee every other year. With the open source
> > programs you can see what's going on under the hood, tinker with it , fix
> > it, or if your like me, break it.  And you don't have to pay to reinstall
> > it.  The argument has always been that you can't make money with free
> > software. What is software? It is a string of letters and symbols that in
> > effect write a formula for a machine to operate from.  I submit that
> > folks have been making a comfortable living by selling their services
> > using the formulas necessary to make "air conditioning work", "heating
> > systems", internal combustion engines and on and on. All these things are
> > based on public domain mathematics and formulas, but they are packaged
> > and sold to people who want the benefits but don't have the time,
> > knowledge or skills, or all three to make use of the formulas in a useful
> > or productive manner.  Intellectual content is ludicrous because, what
> > the mind of one man can concieve of another can too.  Case in point
> > Edison and Tesla.  Money and deciet won
>
> out.
>
> >The more intelegent person was Tesla IMHO, but the formulas for the
> > electron flows that were developed are used world wide and are free, and
> > a lot of people make a living using them.  Closed source is fine because
> > it gives an edge to someone as a starter, but patent laws and copyright
> > laws need to change,  because the closed source community is willing to
> > sue at the
>
> drop of
>
> >a hat when someone comes out with a program or process that looks even
> [...]

Just to add my $1000 worth . . .

In my stupider days, I needed an OCR package to convert faxes and submitted
articles for my international publication. I was using win 3.1. Well, I
bought my first OCR "Professional" package for a cool grand a) because I
needed it and b) because all the reviews raved about it.

I installed the package, and it didn't work as advertised. There was no
recourse: buyer beware! Within a month, an "upgrade" became available for
only $199! Well, I snapped that one up fast! It didn't work much better.

So, I learned how to type -- it was faster and much more accurate than these
"professional" packages. So it went for most of the software I bought for
Win, including a very famous relational database package. The support, if you
could afford it, basically told me "It's your problem: you bought it." I
solved my own problems with workarounds, including encrypting passwords as
fake dll's . . . sigh!

Thievery? Too polite a word! Extortion -- a little too harsh. (Btw: If you're
interested in how "copyright" came about, check back into the book industry's
history. It's no wonder why England's Penguin Books would not allow their
books to be re-sold in a certain country!)

Bottom line: Open Source is what computing was all about before the "boys got
greedy".

All the best on Christmas Day!
Regards
Andre

Please pray the Holy Rosary to end the holocaust of abortion.
Remember, in your prayers, the suffering souls in Purgatory.

May God bless you abundantly with His love!

For a free Cenacle Scriptural Rosary Booklet -- http://www.webhart.net/csrb/