On Wed, 26 Dec 2001 09:23:41 +0900
Doug Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wednesday, December 26, 2001):
>
> >You are addressing a windows issue
> >
> >Win2K has its own bootloader, which will boot various windows versions.
> > While we mormally have no problem with this, it seems to break down
> >once a non-windows partition has been encountered in the chain.
> >
> >In other words, if you want it to work, dump linux, reinstall w2k to
> >that first partition, copy over your data, then install Mandrake in the
> >second position.  This will work handily.
> >
> >Civileme
> >

> I *strongly* suggest this be given as a warning in the installer!
>
> doug

actually, I believe it is mentioned. you've just got to read a bit. then again, the
installation has become so much more automagically easier since I started eons ago
with redhat where you actually "had" to read the install manuals before doing
anything, make a boot floppy with rawrite, and then boot the floppy and so on.

Not like now where you can simply place the cd in the tray and boot the cd. Of course,
unless you choose expert mode and actually do the partitioning yourself you can't tell
the installer "where" you want to place the installation of Linux. And that requires
some reading that "is" in the documentation.

Last I checked everything that a guy/girl needed to know about a Mandrake install
cohabitating with other OS's is "well" documented and readily available on the net.
Especially at the MandrakeSoft website/forums/Expert...  etc.

course I like one of the solutions best. Just place the Cd in the tray and tell it to
install after booting the Cd. totally wipes and partitions the drive completely
erradicating ALL traces of Windows. :)

but thats just me and not everyone wants to be windows free.
--
daRcmaTTeR
If at first you don't succeed do what your wife told you to do

Registered Linux User 182496
Mandrake 8.1
 11:05pm  up 9 days, 14:54,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.09, 0.08