On Tuesday 01 January 2002 19:23, you wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2002 09:12:25 -0500
>
> Ed Tharp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:
> > On Tuesday 01 January 2002 01:38, you wrote:
> > > On 31 Dec 2001 20:05:55 -0500, Michael Leone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > wrote:> >I think Civileme's point was that if/when the UCITA law
> > > passes in> >Washington, USA, then Microsoft (headquartered in
> > > Washington) will be> >able to make a minor change to their
> > > proprietary .doc/.xls/whatever> >file formats, and it will be
> > > illegal for Sun or anyone else to> >reverse-engineer that file
> > > format to create a new filter for their> >competing office suite.

> > > Nope, they are reverse-engineered. That's why it has taken so long
> > > for the filters to reach their present level of quality (which is
> > > very good). Calling it "reverse engineered" is a little of a
> > > dangerous reach, (in my HUMBLE opinion), my guess is a lot of the
> > > info is from APIs released by M$, to allow third parties to be able
> > > to write macros and other programs that will work with M$
> > > applications, the rest would be "obvious" to someone studying, say,
> > > word processor programing.
>
> I don't say this lightly, or with any reservation or apology at all. I
> think it's past time to just tell MS to take a fly leap on a rolling
> donut and move away from them in mass. For some it may be a bit
> difficult, but not impossible. If we don't we've only got ourselves to
> blame for the feeling of being held hostage by their proprietary
> systems.
>
> I for one am going to begin recommending, and loudly, to my superiors
> that its time we begin productivity migration away from MS. There just
> isn't any future in it. O, well, _their_ future, but certainly not one
> of choice and freedom.

Just to add my experience with M$ bondage:

ALL my documents, in their original format, were in MS Word for Windows 2.0c
format. Some I had used in Ventura for DTP. When I decided to switch to
LM 8.0, I was left in a quandry. All those documents had to be
converted. Unfortunately, W2W 2.0c file format cannot be imported directly in
StarOffice 5.2.

If I had not made a firm decision to continue with LM, I would have backed
out because of this major import problem. Luckily, I could import rtf -- so
converted all the documents. My Win partition awaits to be deleted (the kids
use it for Caesar III).

As far as businesses are concerned, most have upgraded to Word 95/97 etc. So,
if the switch would be relatively painless. When I ran my
publication, it was a constant struggle to get different programs to work
together (in WIn 3.1) . With Linux, I've had few problems, aside from
learning a new OS. StarOffice, though it's sort of slow, allows me to "plan"
what I'm about to do -- at least I have time to grab a coffee while it loads!

>From my limited business experience, I would not trade the stability, ease of
use, and functionality of LM, for all the glitz and promise of continuous
reboots that I had encountered with M$ products. Furthermore, the threats of
forced upgrades, dubious registration tactics, and cost of operating MS might
tip the balance for other businesses to switch from MS. It's just a question
of time.

I agree that there "isn't any future in it" -- but getting businesses to take
that first step. . . .

Have a Blessed New Year!
Regards,
Andre

[Btw -- And I'm REALLY Off-Topic here: My wife received the neatest present
from her mother: PJ's with a whole bunch of cute,smiling little penguins.
Guess that makes her a "Linux-Lady" -- Maybe LM should promote these? Or send
one as a present for Billy's wife???]

--
Please pray the Holy Rosary to end the holocaust of abortion.
Remember, in your prayers, the suffering souls in Purgatory.

May God bless you abundantly with His love!

For a free Cenacle Scriptural Rosary Booklet -- http://www.webhart.net/csrb/